Friday, July 18, 2014

Fabric and Photo Organizing

King of Photobombing 

When I wrote yesterday's post for Plum and June's Let's Get Acquainted blog hop, I realized my sewing room photos I had to use from my major  Re-Do last year were pretty outdated.    

Chase take the crown from Dottie
So I tried to get a current picture of my stash shelves and had to go into the backyard and shoot from outside an open window (cuz, yes my sewing room is that small).   Chase has always been the camera shy one and Dottie the photobomber - not anymore!
FQ & 1/2 yard-ish bundles
I had to go double deep on the shelf this time with my bundles and did a bit of regrouped by general color theme.  There's a ridiculous amount of fabric but it has stayed relatively sorted for as lazy as I tend to be about filing things back after my workshops and sew days.

Freedom from Clutter

The Ugly Truth - Out of Control
Even though I knew it had to get worse before it got better - ugh, stepping over and around this mess as I cleaned up was pretty bad.  Bags of bags and buckets of who knows what!  It's not done yet but it resembles hoarding a bit less.
No space for this cool container - Sad Face
My Sewing Room is one big WIP and deciding what gets to stay and what needs to go is SUPER difficult for me - but I'm committed to making an effort even if it means ditching my "Flat and Happy" yellow library card cabinet.
My New way of storing strip scraps
Considering I downscaled my stash and scraps thanks to the recent Yard Sale and Flea Market put on by my two local guilds I'm feeling a little more in control.  The big push came during my long 4th of July weekend when I decided to declare Freedom from Clutter.
The old way of storing scraps
I'm also hoping to participate this year in the Where I Sew link up at Pink Chalk Fabrics.  It's so much fun to nose around other people's space don't you think? Wish me luck getting the place camera ready.

Photo Organizing

If nearly three thousand pictures in my flickr pool seems extreme, it's because I also upload photos from our MQG guild meetings and special events plus some are private so i can store them for my own reference.  
Flickr Albums
There's a bit of clutter and chaos in my virtual world too.  I've tried really hard to make some sense of them by creating albums, including monthly and yearly projects, but maintaining them isn't really my forte.  Any advise on keeping on top of things?

Down to the Wire

Linking up to Finish it up Friday has been absent for quite some time but tonight I pulled it off with the completion of my Michael miller mqg challenge. 
Tomorrow in the light of day I'll get a better picture on a background less distracting than my bed so I can post it on the MQG Community site.  Linking up to Finish It Up Friday with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts.

I'm the Caboose 

It's been wonderful to have so many new visitors to my blog and all the comments make my day.

Be sure to visit the 2014 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop.  Beth has a master list of links to make it easy on you.   You'll find me at the very very bottom - Yup - last but not least! 

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow. What a lovely lot of gorgeous fabrics all nearly sorted. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had bags of stuff that accumulate unsorted! I'm so glad Chase decided to photobomb...he's adorable. I just wanna hug him:). X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your organization! Itis looking wonderful. Love your challenge quilt! And your bed quilt!! It is definitely on my make this fall list. Which tut did you use? Any tips for fabric placement? Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blocks were based on Brenda/Just a Bit Frayed 12.5" and Rossie/Fresh Modern Quilts Mega xPlus with a slight change of her cut size and using a fussy cute and bonus triangle twist which I wrote my own tutorial for and talk about placement tips (credit and links for all are on my post)

      Delete
  3. 1. Chase is charming!
    2. I love how you quilted your mqg challenge quilt!
    3. If you had to pay for all the organizing you're doing, you wouldn't be able to afford yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that yellow file box! I really wanted a library card catalog cabinet but the more my stash grows (I mean half yards to yards versus fat quarters), the more I know that a card catalog wouldn't work. As beautiful as they are! I think I want a small one though, so I am keeping an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!