Tuesday, September 4, 2012

WIP - some done some not

I've cut the strips for September's F+F=AMSB herringbone blocks for Petra and am auditioning placement without trying to impose too much control on the scrappiness and creative process. We're using this tutorial.
The much blogged about Old Italian Block OIB wedding quilt (seen here and here) had an audience when I brought it for show and tell at our SBAMQG meeting.  It is quilted and bound with a sleeve attached for hanging in our Quilt Show.  This is my second item crossed off the Quilter in the Gap FAL Q3 list.
OIB 66"x 72" Bamboo/silk Batting
Making a traditional block with modern designer fabrics like Kaffe Fassett, Martha Negley, Philip Jacobs, Liberty Art, Monica Solorio-Snow embraces one of my favorite elements of the Modern Quilting aesthetics. I think it turned out very similar to the one on the cover of Anita Grossman Soloman's book Rotary Cutting Revolution
OIB Back - floating blocks
Such a super talented bunch of guild members we have.  Check out some pictures I posted to our group.  If you're local, please stop by Sue Dee's during the month of September and check out the quilts in person. We're having a reception next Friday evening as well.

Just a few of the Granny Swap Blocks
The pin cushion and scrap catcher for Modern Scrappy Bits and my Granny blocks are both ready to mail off for swapping. The chevron cat quilt now has a kitty snuggled on it. I forgot to shoot a finished picture of it -oops.

Facebook and Pinterest

After years of holding out - I finally joined the rest of the world on facebook.  I wanted to use my same flickr buddy icon picture but couldn't find the original on my computer so I used this picture taken in Kauai (a few trips ago).

Now that I have a FB account I was able to make a pinterest account and am really excited about that. All I need is more time in the day to play and to learn what the heck I'm doing.
MSB pin cushion and scrap catcher
I referred to this tutorial for the Pin Cushion-Scrap Catcher but changed the sizes to better fit the fussy cut fabric and weighted it with pinto beans.
On the design wall before stuffing
Tula Pink Prince Charming
After the MQG meeting I picked up a yard of this wonderful fabric for my swap.
Japanese fabric charm swap

WIP Weekly Status Update:

Finished = 3
Wedding Quilt - Old Italian block
Cat Chevron Quilt
Chevron Pouch
Progress = 3
Not your Granny's Bee (all done, just need to mail)
Modern Scrappy Bits swap (all done, just need to mail)
HTABQ's Japanese Charm Swap (fabric purchased and posted pic)
New Projects = 0
none (big pat on the back)
No Progress = 7+
Sewing Summit zipper pouch swap
Sewing Summit Black & White swap
Quilt for 100 Quilts for Kids (most parts done)
Make a "We Eloped" Quilt
Make A Baby Boy Quilt
Secret Partner MQG pillow swap
Alpaca Pillow

Linking up to WIP Wednesday with guest host Emily from Mommy's Nap Time.

10 comments:

  1. I'm totally crushing on your scrap catcher! Did you use a pattern or tutorial? A little old lady at church gave me one a couple of years ago, but I'd love to make a new, fresh/mod one. :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and that's a beautiful picture of you, too! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Melissa - I added the link to the tutorial that I used as a general guide.

      Delete
  2. I love the herringbone blocks - have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the fabric you picked for the herringbone block. Also thanks for linking to a tutorial for a scrap catcher. That is one of those things that I constantly tell myself that I need to make but then somehow forget to look for tutorials. Now I don't need to search thanks to you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt show quilt is amazing. It's no wonder it is being displayed. By the way, I was slow to get on FB as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt is amazing!! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!