Sunday, March 27, 2016

Diaper Bag and Changing Mat

Diaper Bag and Changing Mat
My niece came to town and I got to meet her baby boy for the first time.  He's SO cute and is growing up so fast. Gifting in person is so much more fun than mailing off a box don't you think?  Making for a maker is also quite gratifying.

The last stitches were being sewn down by hand while we sat chatting - she's a quilter too so I knew she wouldn't mind the last minuteness of the finish.


Here's a photo on the front porch showing a glimpse of the cuteness inside (above) and an inside shot  of the finishing edges and ric-rac detail, (below) more cuteness.  I made a pocket on a pocket because a baby needs lots of little things.
Finishing Inside
I also used elastic along the top of the largest pocket to help keep the changing mat in place but aparently didn't take a photo.  If you're on IG you've seen most of this already and may have even piped in your opinion on what color thread to use.

Laminate 
Wonder clips are great for keeping pin holes from damaging the laminate.  Somehow a finished photo of the mat unfolded was missed as well, but you can get an idea from the progress shot above and from the way this one made recently looks.
Mat Details 
This time I followed the dimensions of the tutorial, made by Marzipan. Matching up the glasses was worth it.  Finding the perfect (flat) button also made me happy.
Washi works well
Kraftex is easy to use and just like laminate I wanted to keep the use of pins to a minimum.  Washi tape temporarily secured the strip in place while it was being topstitched down and then pulled off without leaving anything behind. 

The bag pattern started out based on the free Dritz Cross Body Bag tutorial chosen because an adjustable strap and two free hands seemed the perfect plan.  Since I sued Soft and Stable I didn't want to line it which of course leads to mid-way modifications.   

I was pleased with the Essex linen for the bias-tape type edging and because of the looser weave, I didn't even cut it on the bias.  The color match to the Echino glasses fabric couldn't have been better.
#fridaynightsewalong

This project was kicked off during a Friday Night Sew Along which is coming up again this week, April 1st - no fooling.   Be sure to play along and cheer along.



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful bag! It can be used past the diaper stage as well. That and the changing mat are such great ideas for a baby gift.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!